Sunday, July 28, 2013

GAME BASED LEARNING Play List

Game Learning in Social Studies


Matthew (Native) vs. Mom (Immigrant)

I chose Call of Duty Black OPS II: Team Death Match in the Map Nuketown2025 because it is one of my sons (Matthew) favorite game.  He invests several hours a week playing it and plays with other friends on line.  I would define this game as a “very” complex game. I asked my son to play a video game with me that he loves to play.  He first suggested Mortal Combat because it would be easier for me.  I asked him why and he said that I would get “killed” in Black OPS.  I told him I was up for the challenge. (He laughed) 

As Matthew “set up” the game, I observed him go into multiple screens as I heard a series of clicks and talking to others as they set up the game.  I have watched my son play this game many times as I passed him up and thought he was randomly killing people.  It took him 15 minutes to just set up the game.  He selected maps, multiple guns with many attachments to the guns, time limits, score setting, etc.  I was overwhelmed with just the “set up” stage.  As I began to play, the mission was to kill the red army guys.  I learned real fast that I had a hard time just walking in a straight line let alone switching guns, turning positions, shooting, identifying the enemy, and much more. All of Matthew’s friends and my nephew missions changed as we played.  They all realized that I was getting “killed” and their main mission was to “protect Matthew’s Mom”.  One said “dude make sure you protect her or else she will not pass her test for class”.  They observed that I was not equipped to defeat this game and “beat the level” so they all communicated this through their headsets and came together to help the “mom”. 

I realized that they not only just kill people but they talk about what guns they are using and what kind of different strategies they are going to use to “beat the level”.  In the midst of craziness they are multitasking at all times as they change guns they are checking maps and data of how successful they are during the game.  I was amazed on how well they were doing especially when the mission changed to keep me alive.  They not only have developed these multitasking tools but their hand coordination is amazing.  I just played about 40 minutes and had to stop because my hand was cramping. 

This was a real eye opener for me on how these video games teach my son and others great collaborating skills, multitasking skills, and hand coordination.  I really felt slow and lost as I played this game.  I improved as I played but just walking in a straight line and shooting. I really realized that I became more obsessed about killing others… to “beat the level”.  I felt bad that the others were caring my weight and wanted to prove that I could hold my own in helping the team succeed.  I wanted to improve for the “team” and for myself. 

I really enjoyed reading about game-based learning and this module really helped me understand the “boring” complaint of our 21st century learner.  After I played this exciting game, who wants to hear a lecture?  My only disappointment in doing this module was to find out there isn’t a lot of game-based learning complex games for Social Studies.  I want to bring that excitement my son and his friends felt while playing Black OPS into the classroom.  This is my true challenge as I make my come back into the classroom.


If anyone is wondering, I killed 37 people in 40 minutes where as my son killed around 200 and protected me the whole timeJ

4 comments:

  1. Ohhh my, I loved reading your post! I can so identify with your experience. It is amazing though at the complexity of today’s games and the amount of coordination and multitasking that goes into them. Congratulations, by the way, on killing 37 bad guys in 40 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me chuckle! My son is a whiz at those types of games. He can beat those complex games so much easier than I can attempt CandyCrush. I love seeing you spend QT with your son like that, too. Melts my heart. I should do that more often with my little guy, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fontini, have you explored iCivics? It's a game-based curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanna, I have, it was one of my palylists but I still felt that students master it pretty quickly and especially at a high school level. It was one of the better ones out there though. I really liked this assignment because I never thought to just sit and play for an hour with my son. It somehting I'm considering doing with my future students to make an assingment to engage with thier parents. I sometimes watch him play but when I played with him it was only for a few minutes. Thanks for such an eye opener to not only see another side of my son but to just explore and experience this new world of gaming and I really can understand why they do play these complex games. LOVED this assignment!!

      Also, on my fonts in my blog that you posted in grades, for some reason when I paste from word into my blog, it changes my font in my blog. When trying to fix the font in my blog after I pasted it, it won't allow me too. Any suggestions?

      Delete